Zucchini is the summer super food you should be eating. It's rich in vitamins and minerals and very versatile. Much like the cucumber, people assume that it is a vegetable because of how it is used, but zucchinis are technically fruits.
According to Healthline, here are the major health benefits that come from eating zucchini:
- High amounts of vitamin A and antioxidants- Cooked zucchini has the most vitamin A and the skin has the most antioxidants.
- Promotes healthy digestion, reduces blood sugar and aids weight loss- Zucchini has more fiber and water than calories so that stool is softened, hunger may be reduced and blood sugar stabilized.
- Improves heart health- Zucchini's fiber and potassium help lower blood pressure, which lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Strengthens vision- The vitamin C and antioxidants in zucchini improve vision and promotes good eye health.
Here are my favorite extra virgin olive oils and herbs to pair with zucchini:
- Garlic EVOO
- Basil EVOO
- Tex Mex EVOO
- Rosemary EVOO
- Cajun Seasoning
- Moroccan Seasoning
- Garlic Herb Seasoning
- Lemon Rosemary Garlic Salt
Source: Petre, Alina M. “12 Health and Nutrition Benefits of Zucchini.” Healthline, 24 May 2005, www.healthline.com/nutrition/zucchini-benefits#section6.