Try this beautiful Greek salad made with wedges of romaine lettuce, fresh tomatoes and olives piled on top, and a lemon tahini dressing inspired by Cookie+Kate. Recipe yields 4 rather large green salads.
- 2 heads of romaine
- 1 ½ cups halved or quartered cherry tomatoes, depending on their size
- ⅔ cup chopped seeded cucumber (about ½ medium garden cucumber)
- ⅔ cup chopped celery (about 2 ribs)
- ¼ cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint and/or basil
- To prepare the salads: Halve the heads of romaine lengthwise, all the way through their bases so the halves stay intact. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, celery, olives, shallot, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Toss to combine and set aside to marinate.
- To prepare the dressing: In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Whisk to blend. Taste, and add more vinegar if it needs more zip. Season generously with pepper, whisk again, and set aside.
To assemble: Place each romaine halve on its own dinner plate. Top each one
generously with the tomato salad mixture. With a spoon, drizzle the dressing rather liberally over the salads, then finish them with a sprinkle of feta (if using) and chopped herbs. Serve immediately.