Apple Cake with Olive Oil and Honey
Fall in love with apples! Olive oil makes this cake moist and yummy. The best thing about this recipe is it's easy!
- 4 medium red apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons Butter extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup local honey or Bourbon Honey
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
Grease an 8-inch (20cm) cake pan or springform pan (I recommend using springform if you don’t want to flip the cake – the top side is prettier) and line it with nonstick parchment paper.
- Starting with the outer edge of the interior of the pan, place the apples slice flat. Each apple slice should cover about one-third of the apple slice immediately proceeding it. Do this in a circular motion to create a swirl pattern, until the bottom of the pan is fully covered. Add another layer of apple slices on top using the same method. Repeat this step until all the apple slices are used.
- Put flour, sugar, baking powder, olive oil and 2 eggs in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter over the apples and place the cake pan in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and increase the heat to 400ºF.
- In a bowl, whisk 2 eggs, honey, and a pinch of salt. Pour mixture over the cake and bake in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and fork comes out clean when poked in the center.
- Take the cake out of the oven. If you are using a regular cake pan, flip it onto a plate while it’s still warm. If you are using a springform pan, there’s no need to flip it, you can just transfer the cake to a plate.
- Serve warm or cold.
Recipe adapted from Pickled Plum