Baked French Toast with Salted Caramel Apple Conserve
It doesn't get much easier or tastier than this baked French toast--it's everyone's favorite recipe! Enjoy brunch🍳 in a few easy steps!
- 6-8 one-inch-thick slices of challah, brioche, or panettone
- 1 jar Salted Caramel Apple Conserve (or any Jam or Conserve)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 Tbsp. sugar + 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- optional: whipped cream for serving alongside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 2 qt. baking dish. Spread conserve on the bottom half of each slice of bread.
- ‘Shingle’ the bread in the baking dish, covering the conserve by overlapping the slices. (Adjust the slices to fit into the chosen dish.)
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla into the half & half. Pour over the bread.
- Let sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the custard. Just before baking, sprinkle the top with the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the top is puffed and brown and the custard is set.
- Serve warm with whipped cream. Serves 6
- Alternative: Cut the bread into large chunks. Layer half the bread in the dish. Evenly spoon the conserve over the bread cubes. Top with the remaining bread. Pour the custard over the top and proceed from there.
Note: The French Toast can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Leave a comment