Braised Red Cabbage With Apple Pie White Balsamic Vinegar
Just in time for Oktoberfest! The cabbage cooks for a long time, until it is very tender and sweet. You as a side with your favorite pork dish!
- 1 large red cabbage, 2 to 2 1/2 pounds, quartered, cored and cut crosswise in thin strips
2 tablespoons Bacon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tart granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- About 1/3 cup Apple Pie White Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare the cabbage, and cover with cold water while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, lidded skillet or casserole, and add the onion.
- Cook, stirring, until just about tender, about three minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, until the mixture is golden, about three minutes, then add the apples and stir for two to three minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and add to the pot.
- Toss to coat thoroughly, then stir in the allspice, another 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and salt to taste.
- Toss together. Cover the pot, and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring from time to time.
- Add freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt, and add another tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar as desired.