Marinated Chickpeas With Preserved Lemons
This dish is easy and high in protein. Eat it for breakfast, wrapped in 🥙 pita with some scrambled eggs or take it to work for lunch.
When it is served warm, the flavors really come to life, but if I am on the go, it also tastes great at room temperature or chilled. Add charred 🍋 lemon slices as, for a great depth of flavor and pita for sopping up the juices.
- 4 cups Chickpeas (cooked from dried or canned)
- 1½ Preserved lemons (6 quarters), rind coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsps. Greek Seasoning Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ Tbsp. Za’atar
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Pita or naan bread, to serve
- Thinly sliced lemon, charred or not for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, za’atar and pepper. Drizzle over chickpeas and toss to coat. Add chopped preserved lemon rind and mix well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- To char lemon slices, grill or heat a pan on high heat. Gently brush the lemon slices with a touch of oil and then place them in the pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes, until smoking and then flipping once to cook the other side (roughly 1 minute).
- Warm marinated chickpeas in a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant but not browned. Remove from heat.
- Add parsley and toss well.
- Serve warm with soft pita bread and charred lemon slices.
Recipe Modified from blog "Port & Fin"
Leave a comment