Blackberry Breakfast Buckle
What is a buckle? It's a cake-like dish using fruit on top, as it bakes, the cake comes up the sides creating a “buckling” in the center.
This breakfast buckle is a favorite when blackberries are in season. Serve this for breakfast, brunch, or anytime.
- 2 cups Fresh Blackberries
- 2 Tbsps. Blackberry Ginger Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Lemon Rosemary Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Egg
- 2/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsps. Meyer Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 baking pan or 9 inch springform pan.
- In a small bowl, toss the blackberries with the balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat olive oil with the egg until frothy. Whisk in sugar. Sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and gently fold to combine.
- Add milk to use spoon to incorporate.
- Fold in half of blackberries and vinegar into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Dot the batter with the remaining berries along with drizzling any juices.
- Gently tap the pan to remove any bubbles.
- In a small bowl mix the topping ingredients to form a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle the batter with the streusel topping.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and run a knife around the outside to loosen from edges. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a cup of coffee.