This tasty appetizer will make a perfect addition to your upcoming gatherings.
Simple but full of flavor, it's easy to prepare. If your time is limited like most of us, buy pre-cooked beets! 😉
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a medium pan, cover halved beets with water and boil until just tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice bread into 1/2 inch slices at a diagonal. Brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and place on a sheet pan in a 400 F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until very crisp. Set aside.
- Place cream cheese and goat cheese in a bowl and warm in a microwave until just soft enough to combine easily with a fork. Mix with a fork until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When beets are fork-tender, drain pot, refill with cold water and slip skins off the cooked beets under running cold water using your hands. Dice into very small 1/3 inch cubes and place in medium bowl.
- Add finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil and balsamic -stir to combine. Taste, adjusting. You want this be flavorful and juicy.
- Assemble: Spread a little goat cheese mixture on each bruschetta creating a “trough” ( to hold beet mixture in place) and top with a tablespoon of beet mixture.
- Garnish with a few basil ribbons. It’s really nice to serve when the goat cheese is still a touch warm.
Recipe modified from the blog "Feasting at home"