- 6 tablespoons Organic Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ tablespoons Vidalia Onion balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons tamari
- 1½ tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Homemade croutons
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, and several grinds of pepper and toss to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 40 minutes, stirring every few minutes, or until the onions are very soft. Increase the heat to medium and cook 15 to 20 more minutes, stirring often, until golden brown. Add the vinegar, tamari, thyme, and garlic and stir. Sprinkle the flour on the onions, stir, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook 2 minutes, or until evaporated. Add the broth and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
Ladle the soup into ramekins or bowls and top each with croutons, fresh thyme, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Love and Lemons